It’s 2013. The ball has dropped. Hands up to those who thought we wouldn’t make it?…. Ok you’re all idiots… Of course we were gonna’ make it. Humans rule, right!? Unless we are the aliens or unless this is all just a simulation and we are but pawns in some giant intergalactic Sims-experiment. I’m just happy there’s wicked music in my corner of the simulation. For those that share this quadrant of the inter-dimensional multi-verse please feel free to scroll through 13 things that I have on my brain at the dawn of this new year, 2013.
1. WE FUCKING MADE IT! The Mayan-Apocalypse can suck my hard-drive!
DIRTY NIL “FUCKING UP YOUNG”
2. The Morning After 2012:
BAHAMAS “LOST IN THE LIGHT”
3. These Guys will continue their domination in 2013:
METZ “WET BLANKET”
4. Watch out for:
5. If you don’t know, now you know….
FOXYGEN @ Le Guess Who? 2012
6. This One Will End up in an Ad:
HUNGRY KIDS OF HUNGARY “WRISTWATCH”
7. In 2013 Absurdity will Rule:
HOLLERADO “PICK ME UP”
8. In 2013 Compassion and Understanding will bring us together (with Music):
TOPS “TURN YOUR LOVE AROUND”
9. Break your New Year’s Resolution and need to feel sorry for yourself:
EVA AND MANU “LONELY BOY” Black Keys Cover
and then dance because no one cares and you always have next year to
fail try again.
10. I pray for more intimate/raw music placements like this in 2013:
MARK DUPLASS “BIG MACHINE” (Ryan Miller cover from “Safety Not Guaranteed“)
This song is a cover of a Ryan Miller (Guster) song. It is beautifully used in the film when the shy, awkward and misunderstood Kenneth played brilliantly by Mark Duplass, pulls out a Zither and unknowingly steals Darius’s (Aubrey Plaza) heart. Such a beautiful scene. The song is perfect. Kudos to music supervisor Marguerite Phillips. (learn to play the song on your Zither here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojvHPIevz7E)
11. I also hope for more design meets music-video art this coming year:
WARM MYTH “WORKING” (directed by Jesse Yules)
12. 2013 we will forget many people who passed away but…
Jim Marshall left a mark that no one can deny:
(also R.I.P. Jon Lord of DEEP PURPLE)
13. What to watch for in 2013 on the MSB:
The Music Super Review:
This coming year we will be putting together profiles on some of our favorite music supervisors from all around the world and we will be calling these little easy-to-digest-brain-nuggets as The Music Super Review. We know there are enough blogs that talk with the bands and artists but we want to talk to those behind the scenes putting the music in front of your eyes!? You know what I mean. We love what we do and want to introduce you to more of us Music Supervisors. Get to know what we listen to, look for, working on and what we’re all about.
… and More Dancing GIFs of course…
Happy New Year Audiophiles!